EUR 23.3 million contract signed to build passenger wharves in Split
A EUR 23.3 million contract was signed in Split on Tuesday to extend and upgrade the passenger wharves on the outer side of the breakwater in the city's port.
The contract was signed by Split Port Authority Director Milan Blazevski, and Niksa Musulin and Josko Mikulic on behalf of the companies that will perform the work, Pomgrad Inzenjering of Split and Viadukt of Zagreb.
The signing ceremony was attended by the Minister of Maritime Affairs, Transport and Infrastructure, Sinisa Hajdas Doncic.
The work will begin within a month and should last 790 days. The project includes construction of two wharves of 270 m and 320 m in length and two 28 m wide embarkation / disembarkation ramps.
The project will be financed by the Split Port Authority, funds from the state budget and a loan from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
"This is the biggest investment in the history of the Port of Split," Blazevski said, adding that it would alleviate transport congestion in the port. Hajdas Doncic said that after the completion of the project Split would be able to take in large cruise ships with more than 4,000 passengers.
Last year nearly 4.5 million passengers travelled through the city's port, which was 4% more than in 2012.