Spotting pollution from inland vessels
WHAT IF SHIPPER OR EU CITIZENT NOTICE POLLUTION FROM VESSELS IN INLAND NAVIGATION OCCURRED WITHIN THE BORDERS OF THE REPUBLIC OF CROATIA WITH POSSIBLE CROSS-BORDER CONSEQUENCES
LEGAL BASIS AND PROTOCOLS FOR THE PROTECTION AGAINST POLLUTION IN THE REPUBLIC OF CROATIA
1. Water Act (OG 66/19), of Article 81. to 85.
- treatment in cases of emergency and sudden water pollution shall be carried out at the very bottom of the national plan of measures for emergency and sudden water pollution and lower plans of measures adopted on the basis of that plan.
- It Clearly States which measures and procedures are to be implemented in case of emergency and sudden water pollution
2. State Plan of measures for emergency and sudden water pollution (OG 5/11)
3. Protection and Rescue Plan on the territory of the Republic of Croatia (OG 96/10)
4. Act on the ratification of the Protocol on the Prevention of Navigation pollution as a part of Agreement on the Sava River Basin (OG 1/10 - International Treaties)
PROCEDURE FOR ACTION IN CASE OF WATER POLLUTION FROM VESSELS.
Act on Navigation and Inland waterway ports (OG 109/07, 132/07, 51/13, 152/14, 118/18) Article 12., paragraph 2. the following is prescribed: “It shall be prohibited to discard, discard, discharge or spill out waste, articles or substances which may endanger the safety of navigation, human lives and health or pollute the environment.”
The Action Protocol for the area of inland navigation in case of pollution occurring within the borders of the Republic of Croatia with possible cross-border consequences is the following and complies with the procedures described in the State Plan of measures for emergency and sudden water pollution (NN 5/11):
- the shipper/ship owner notifies the Port Authority as soon as possible of the detected or caused pollution on next addresses:
Harbour Master's Office River traffic 00 - 24 E-mail
Vukovar tel. 032 441 538 / firstname.lastname@example.org;
Osijek Tel. 031 250 240 / email@example.com;
Slavonski Brod tel.035 446 655 / firstname.lastname@example.org;
Sisak tel. 044 526 711 / email@example.com.
- the competent harbor master's office or citizen who noticed or caused pollution shall notify the Ministry of the Interior – Civil Protection Directorate on telephone number 122,
- the competent Port Authority goes out on the field to make an insight,
- Ministry of Interior - Directorate of Civil Protection informs the Principal International Alert Centre (PIAC) of neighboring countries, using the Danube Accident Emergency Warning system (AEWS)
- joint actions of Legal entity for water management (Croatian waters, as an expert unit) and Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development (Directorate of water Management and Sea Protection), or the State Inspectorate, Sector for Environmental Protection, Nature Protection and Water Management supervision) as a Decision-making unit are ensured for taking further measures. They also decide the need to invite other institutions involved in the function units of the Central Centre;
- assessment and immediate inspection of pollution is performed by Legal entity for water management (expert unit) and the State Inspectorate, sector for Environmental Protection, Nature Protection and Water Management supervision (decision-making unit);
- State Inspectorate, Sector for Environmental Protection, nature Protection and water Management supervision determines the degree of threat to waters and adopts a Decision in accordance with Article 218. of the Water Act (OG 66/19), which depends on the type, intensity and location of pollution,
- the measures are taken and determined by the Decision of the State Inspectorate, Sector for Environmental Protection, Nature Protection and Water Management supervision in accordance with the Operational Rehabilitation Plan;
- if necessary, Legal entity for water management employs authorized laboratories,
- if necessary, Legal entity for water management engages professionally and technically qualified persons for rehabilitation activities,
- public is informed about the procedures and measures taken,
- upon completion of the rehabilitation proclamation of the cessation of measures.